Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Ew.

Thank you, but no thank you :)
26 weeks and 4 days!!!
Weight: so far I have gained a total of 10 pounds start to finish

Today, I took my glucose screening test... and it was gross. It started out not so bad, I had a choice of Orange flavored nastiness and Fruit Punch. I chose fruit punch because for some crazy reason it sounded better to me as that particular moment. Anyway, they asked my not to shake it and told me that I had 5 minutes to drink the whole little bottle. I was shocked because it was a lot bigger bottle then I was expecting, but I just thought, "oh well, what can you do. Drink it up!". The first sip wasn't bad. It was VERY sweet, go figure, but not bad. It wasn't until I got to about the third that my gag reflexes started to kick in. I sat there for four minutes sipping at this cracked up Kool-Aid and finally my nurse lady friend said that I had one minute and needed to finish it. I had half the bottle left and as I looked at it, my heart sunk. I got that feeling in my throat that you get when you want to cry but you're trying to hold it in. Ya know, like when your parents use to tell you to clean your room and then you looked at it and wanted to die? Well... I sucked it up, and then sucked it down, and just about threw it up on the person sitting next to me. All I wanted to do for the next 20 minutes was vomit. I was in no way shape or form going to let myself though, because the thought of having to come back on another day and drink that poison again, was more terrifying than what I was feeling at that point in time. The baby was kicking like crazy the entire time I was drinking it too. I don't know if he was begging me to stop, or being a good little angel and encouraging me to be strong and just get through it. None the less, after I drank it I snuck out of the office and went to my mother in laws house for 40 minutes. They told me that the drink needed to be in my system for an hour before they could do the tests and that I should sit down and just relax. I thought about it... and ran out the door. Hanging out in a room full of people who are coughing and sneezing and whining about life for an hour didn't sound like my cup of tea. Even though they discourage people from leaving in case they get sick, I was like "peace ooouuuutt!". I came back an hour later and they got their blood sample from me and that was that. Over all it wasn't a difficult experience, but it is something that I definitely didn't enjoy and am not looking forward to ever doing again. Oh! And just a little side note, the nurse who drew my blood told me that the Orange drink is the better one to go with. AHHHH. :) Of course.

Have a good evening everyone and Merry Early Christmas!!!

xoxo

T

2 comments:

  1. Hey T it's Greta,
    I remember this test. The nurse is right, the orange stuff is better. It tastes like flat orage soda. I had to do this test twice... ugh. My 1st test results were "funky" so they made me do a 4 hour, yes I said FOUR hour test & I had to drink more than one bottle! YUCK! My friend had to do an 8 hour test... can you imagine? I love reading your posts btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the orange and it tastes like really sugary Gatorade. Not too bad. :]
    Like the poster above me said, hopefully you do not need to do the 4 hour test!! Yuck!

    ReplyDelete